Conserving water when you’re renting
Smart water choices when you’re renting still benefits the wider community.
Just because you don’t own the home doesn’t mean you should lower your sustainable living standards.
Small steps for big changes
- Fix that leaky tap! A dripping tap can waste up to 60,000 litres a year.
- Put some food colouring in your toilet tank. If it seeps into your toilet bowl without flushing it means you have a leak – call the landlord to get it fixed.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth, washing your hands and face, or while shaving.
- Keep track of your shower times – try to keep it below 5 minutes.
- Wash fruit and vegetables in a pan of water instead of running water from the tap. Then use it to water your plants.
- Don’t use running water to thaw food.